Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday

So i'm starting this blog as a way for me to report my (soon to be) families trials and tribulations...


Jen (my wife of 2 years) is now 18 weeks pregnant and now starting to show. Yesterday we went to Magee women's hospital to view an ultrasound of baby Chaparro... Everything looks good and healthy. its truly amazing the technology that is available to us these days. My parents never got to see and ultrasound of me. They went to the doctor, who checked the vitals with a stethoscope and that was about. They even made a video of the little one for us...
I'm wondering what they'll have when my children have their own kids.

Today i brewed. It was a brew day. I finished my book on Belgium beers and decided to put to use my new knowledge of belgium methods. See Brewing Blog for more info.

I made enchiladas today as well. I found a recipe for making a red sauce, and used some California Chiles i picked up when in LA... the sauce was very good, but i think it needed more heat and was missing something... not sure.
The enchiladas came out soggy as always... but i checked out a web page that described how to prevent the soggy enchilada syndrome... fry the tortillas before you wrap the cheese/beans/meat whatever...
ok... i should have looked that up before... guess it really wasn't that big of a deal

Oh yeah.... the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots... in the Super Bowl. It was an OK game for most of the time, until the 4th, when both teams started scoring. Then it really became exciting. I'm pretty much happy that the Giants won... I hate the pastriots... and my uncle loves the Giants so... i guess i could root for them for a day.

Jen's upstairs putting together the changing dresser / table whatever its called. She's nesting as they say in the books. We already have a crib and a glider thing... and i'm sure there are alot more things to get. We went into Baby's R Us and i was pretty overwhelmed... i have alot to learn i think... How did people for thousands of years survive without warming wipes? i mean it must be only in the last 30 years that nearly 75 percent of this crap has been around... amazing.... its kind of like the internet... but only smaller...

2 comments:

Camila said...

So I've tried frying the tortillas first too, and I'm not sure it makes that much improvement on the sogginess. Actually I think one's not supposed to cook them too long--maybe just enough to melt the cheese? Ah well, they still taste good when they're soggy!

Xaparro said...

Yes, frying is part of the traditional recipe but with all the grease from the cheese, additional oil is a bit too much. So one should soften the tortilla, quickly dip it in the sauce to "enchilar" it, stuff and roll it and barely heat it to melt the cheese...